If you are facing criminal proceedings and require legal representation, you will need to hire a criminal defence lawyer to deal with your case. The sooner you get a lawyer the better, especially if you are facing serious criminal charges. Here are some valuable tips to consider when hiring a criminal lawyer in the Yorkshire area.
If you are meeting with potential lawyers at their firm, it is important that you attend each meeting fully prepared. There is no point in scheduling an appointment only to turn up ill prepared without important information which your lawyer will need to read before considering your defence. A lot of good lawyers may also be busy, so don’t dismiss these potential candidates if they send an understudy to the meeting as their representative, a person who is in high demand is usually sought after for a reason.
Before you arrive at the meeting you’ll need to bring as much information as possible to allow the lawyers to properly assess your case. If they have requested any documentation during previous correspondence, make sure you bring this along.
Items that you may consider carrying:
- All of the documentation you have received from the police and courts, which states what you are being charged with and when your next court appearance takes place.
- Remember to bring your bail papers so the lawyer can read over them.
- If the police searched your premises, you should have any report given to you concerning the search and what was found.
- A copy of the original police report.
If you can bring along any independent witnesses to verify your story, it would be extremely helpful, a lawyer will review their account and use them to fight your case. You should have also prepared a list of questions to ask any potential lawyer, you’ll need to know their background history if you are to hire the most qualified candidate. If you are looking for legal representation anywhere across Yorkshire, JWP solicitors have several high-quality lawyers who are experienced in a variety of fields including criminal defence.
Deciding on a Criminal Defence Lawyer
Once you have met with a few potential lawyers, you must act quickly and hire the most suitable person for the job. Time is not on your side if you are facing criminal charges, so act promptly and make a sensible decision.
Ask yourself these important questions if you are confused about who to hire:
- Which lawyer has the most experience out of all the candidates you have interviewed and met with?
- Which individual offered the most helpful advice?
- Who seemed the most eager and interested in my case?
- Which one do I feel confident about?
- Who was offering the most reasonable prices?
Finding a suitable lawyer to represent you during criminal proceedings can be tricky, it is a serious situation that requires the services of a highly experienced individual. It is understandable that you’d want to acquire legal support as soon as possible, but don’t rush your decision and seek out a lawyer who is best suited for your case.